Friday, September 17, 2010

Jessica (Aucoin) Asire (2007)

In April 2010, Jessica's husband Matt graduated from BM ‘A’ School in Yorktown, VA. He is now a 3rd class (boatswains mate).

Jessica says they now live in "Valdez, Alaska, a tiny little town on the border of Prince William Sound, in South Central Alaska. We are 5 hours from Anchorage, the nearest city. Our town consists of the Coast Guard, a few hotels, a few restaurants, a grocery store, a sportsman’s outfitters, and lots of fishing! People ask- you have a Wal-Mart right? And my response is, sure, about 5 hours away! To really get a feel for how small the town is, you should Google it. We love our little town though! It’s so beautiful here" (see picture).

Jessica works for Doyon Universal Services as the Badging Coordinator. Doyon is contracted by the Alyeska Pipeline to take care of security at the Valdez Marine Terminal (the very end of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline).

Jessica says, "I am really loving my job so far, and have already used so much information that I learned at college.

"When we found out we were moving to Alaska, I started looking up churches. Kim Terpstra contacted me via Facebook to tell me she grew up in Glennallen which is about 2 hours from Valdez. She asked if I knew a Becky Fickes (maiden name Smith) from Maranatha. I told her no. She proceeded to tell me that Becky graduated from Maranatha and lives in Valdez with her husband, Brian, and son, Jonathan. I added Becky as a friend on Facebook, and started praying that this meant there was a good church. Sure enough, I got to Valdez and met Becky, and her father-in-law is the Pastor of Valdez Bible Baptist Church. We have a wonderful little church that we have joined and become actively involved in. When Matt is home he has started helping with the Youth Group. I have become involved helping with the nursery and playing the piano. God really worked through this situation. I was praying for a good church we could be involved in, and Becky was praying for a young couple that would help with the youth group. God answered both prayers!!!"

No comments: